Job and Volunteer Opportunities at the Halifax County Exhibition
The Middle Musquodoboit Agricultural Society (MMAS) is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to supporting and promoting agriculture and food in the Musquodoboit Valley. The main activities for MMAS are to maintain and enhance the exhibition grounds in Middle Musquodoboit and to operate the Halifax County Exhibition in Middle Musquodoboit.
Job Title: Event and Administrative Assistant Location: Middle Musquodoboit, NS
Employment Terms: One positions is available for 8 weeks from July 3 to August 25, 2023. Compensation: $15 per hour. Successful candidates are required to work some weekends.
Duties and Responsbilities:
- Assist in organizing and hosting the 2023 Halifax County Exhibition
- Supporting the 2023 Exhibition Managers
- Answering phone calls and emails
- Organize and facilitate children’s events (ie. Framer Frenzy)
- Organize Gift Basket of Musquodoboit Valley Products for door prize at Exhibition
- Help organize prizes (ribbons, gifts, gift cards, trophies)
- Help organize livestock entries and coordinated exhibitor packages
- Help to promote the HCE on social media and attend summer events such as Farmer’s Markets.
- Print entry forms and waivers for all events & livestock
- Help provide website updates to the web master by sending schedules, photos and other information.
- Help create and display signage on the grounds
- Help to prepare (clean and move) buildings and displays for Exhibition week
- Grounds maintenance (weeding, painting, cleaning, etc.)
Skills and Qualifications:
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Organizational and time management skills including attention to detail
- Team-oriented but able to work independently
- Knowledge of commone software programs (e.g. Microsoft Office) and comfortable learning new ones
- Knowledge of Nova Scotia agriculture
- Must have valid Nova Scotia driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle
This position is partially funded through the Canada Summer Jobs program. To qualify under this program, you must be:
- between the ages of 15 and 30, inclusive, at the start of employment;
- a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act; and
- legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations.
- International students are not eligible under this program.
Please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: June 5, 2023 Candidates contacted for an interview must be available via Zoom between June 19 to 23.
If you already volunteer or serve as a sponsor, thank you. We couldn't do it without you. If you are looking for a place to get involved, there are many opportunities waiting for you!
Volunteer opportunities include (but are not limited to):
- Be part of the crew that puts on the parade!
- Host the always-popular ice cream booth
- Serve as an information host for guests and vendors
- Want to be by the animals? Be a barn steward!
- Our parking crew needs new recruits for 2023!
- Want to be a ribbon runner?
- Strong and mechanically inclined? Consider helping out the ring crew or grounds crew
For information on volunteering or sponsoring, contact the Ex office at email@example.com, or call 902-384-2894